Sunday, October 24, 2010

Short Story: Sanguine Breath by Wee Coo Beastie

Drip. Twenty seconds left, give or take a few breaths. I know it. I can feel it in the simple, fierce heat that numbs my skin as it burns. Drip. It'll not be long. I don't know how deep that spear went, but I can't feel my ribs any more. Probably a blessing, really. I wouldn't like to feel it. Drip. That red stream several feet above me.. below me? I know that's my blood. But I'm looking at it as if I'm looking at a flickograph back home. Drip. That sound, is really getting to me. Every few seconds, I can hear my life thudding into the ground. It had begun as a steady stream, now just blobs onto the ground in spheres in a volume so loud it hurts my ears. Drip.

The leaves are covered in it. I can't move my arms any more, and I can't tell if it's loss of blood, being hung upside down, or because they cut me too deep. For a while, I'd been able to wiggle my toes too. But, that'd gone as the rope cut off circulation. I wonder where Jones and Newman are? Drip. Far away from here, I sincerely hope. It's strange. After the panic and the mind numbing fear, I'm calm. Okay, I'm talking to myself in my head, so surely I've flipped my lid, but I'm calm. Maybe I'll go to heaven. Drip.

There it is. That feeling just before passing out. Like I'm suddenly looking through a tunnel, and everything's far away. From here, my arms look like skinny trees with red ribbon trailing from them. And that noise...where's the whistling coming from? Like a kettle but much...higher pitched. I feel like I'm being picked up, though I'm numb everywhere and...i can still see the ground. There's a light, now.. it looks..warm. Inviting. It's getting closer. Am I hall...ucinating? Or is this it....? It.....-is- warm..... ..... .... Drip.


This was written by Wee Coo Beastie in a cruel attempt to cheer me up. Since it worked, it begs the question what sort of person I am. (A very nice and also generous one, my assistant will back this up, at least after a few lashes of the good old whipmachine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment